Fourth Grade Writing
Fourth-grade writing should tie in with fourth-grade reading. Now that your fourth grader is reading more nonfiction, they will also be writing informational reports in complete paragraphs. By the end of the year, your fourth grader will be able to:
Know the essential parts of speech.
- Write a structured paragraph with a topic sentence, supporting details, and a closing sentence.
- Use punctuation such as commas, apostrophes, and quotation marks appropriately.
- Understand synonyms, antonyms, and homophones.
- Identify prefixes and suffixes.
- Use research to write an informational report.
- Write a description and persuasive texts.
By fourth Grade, academics have kicked into high gear, and subjects have become more sophisticated. Fourth graders are more responsible and beginning to think critically.