You’ll be amazed at your second grader’s writing abilities. Their use of capital letters and proper punctuation with details is an excellent step above first grade.
Second-graders should be able to complete the following.
- Write complete sentences with appropriate punctuation use.
- Use capital letters correctly within sentences.
- Use and understand contractions, words, and transitions.
- Write stories with story elements of beginning, middle, and end.
- Able to do basic research from a non-fiction book writing.
- Understand and use first-person and third-person points of view in story writing.
- Edit their own writing for spelling, punctuation and add details.
Writing is vital for success in most careers and disciplines today, so students must begin to acquire good writing skills early to prepare for adult life. Unfortunately, learners of any skills set can struggle with writing skill and they sometimes students need additional help to develop these skills.
Kids on the Yard State Certified Teachers prepare customized lessons based on their student’s academic and emotional intelligence growth. We work alongside school curriculum and state standards to ensure their educational development is aligned with their classroom.