Math in second grade builds upon 1st-grade math understanding and increases in difficulty. Kids in second-grade math should understand the following:
Learn about even and odd numbers.
- Use tally marks to count by five.
- Read and make graphs.
- Write numbers in word form.
- Add two and three-digit numbers.
- Subtract two and three-digit numbers.
- Know the order of addition and subtraction operations.
- Know the addition and subtraction, fact families.
- Start learning multiplication and division, fact families.
- Recognize patterns.
- Round whole numbers to the nearest 10.
- Know place value to the thousands.
- Understand money, including coins and bills, counting, adding, and subtracting money.
- Be able to measure length, weight, and passage of time.
- Tell time to the nearest five minutes.
- Recognize two-dimensional geometric figures.
- Solve word problems